Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Orion

Here's something Hubble reported on last year. I just can't get enough of this picture.

*****

In one of the most detailed astronomical images ever produced, NASA's Hubble Space Telescope captured an unprecedented look at the Orion Nebula. This turbulent star formation region is one of astronomy's most dramatic and photogenic celestial objects. More than 3,000 stars of various sizes appear in this image. Some of them have never been seen in visible light. These stars reside in a dramatic dust-and-gas landscape of plateaus, mountains, and valleys that are reminiscent of the Grand Canyon. The Orion Nebula is a picture book of star formation, from the massive, young stars that are shaping the nebula to the pillars of dense gas that may be the homes of budding stars.

12 comments:

SpacerGuy said...

I dig your Orion image man! Its wild. If earths ball of earthlings had a starship, I'd be one of the first to sign up!

~Z~ said...

Thanks for the comment, spacerguy. Unfortunately, the image isn't mine but belongs to Hubble. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi~Z~,
The Great Orion Nebula is one of my favorite nebs.Everytime I bring the scope out,I can't help but,to take a few images and admire its beauty.Though,I may not be able to capture such a shot as the Hubbles image.It sure is a lot of fun trying!.I really like your sites new look also!.
Clear skies!

~Z~ said...

Hi Andrew!

Say, did you move your site or something? The link I have on my page doesn't seem to work and I can't connect to your page from any other astronomy site that has linked to you. Or have you banned me? :P

Inquiring minds want to know.

Anonymous said...

Oh Gosh no....hmmmm,someone else told me the same thing....hmmm once again.Ya know I might have accidently set blogger.com as spam.One way or another I will open the door for ya!.

~Z~ said...

Blogger as spam? I dunno...I tried your site by typing your bongo69.vela.net into my browser even when not logged into blogger and it comes back with "server not found". Hope you can get it fixed as I've missed visiting your site lately.

Anonymous said...

I just e-mailed the Vela.net administrator with a why is this happening question.Hmmm and I was wondering why you haven't visited...

~Z~ said...

Good luck! Hope you get it sorted soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi~Z~,
I just sent you a e-mail.I also changed a setting on my site.Give Above the clouds another try.
I'm trying!!

Tag said...

Hi ~Z~,
That is a great photo. I was lucky to win a 2' x 2' blowup of that as a door prize. In all that beauty, there lies the violence of birth: cosmic maternity.
peter

~Z~ said...

Wow Peter, you lucky dawg! That photo is one of my all time favourites. So much so that I chose my blog colours from it.

Stephen said...

M42 and M43. Two for the price of one.

(M43 is the splotch to the upper left.)